Problems to the point of rehoming
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Problems to the point of rehoming

pwinfrey is offline New to the Village

Default Problems to the point of rehoming

First time poster here. We have a 10-month-old female Pug named Phoenix. Phoenix has been somewhat of a nightmare since we got her. She has not been at all what we ideally thought a Pug would be like. She was labeled as "feisty" when we picked her and she sure has lived up to that description. She's full of energy and harasses our older dog nonstop (in a playful but aggressive way). Anyways, we already have three young children and I'm to the point where I'm almost considering rehoming her although I really don't want to have to do that. Our issue is that Phoenix will go potty outside and either get distracted or go to the front door. This is good except for that fact that she will poop inside almost immediately after. It's become such a pattern that I sometimes let her out to go potty, let her in and then let her back out. She will poop outside but would rather do it inside for whatever reason. Second problem is that she only tends to pee in one of the kids' beds. She is crate-trained and when confronted about going inside the house, she will go into her kennel so she's well aware that it's wrong. What are we doing wrong? How can we help her? We sure would appreciate any input.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Hi, and welcome.

I'd go back to basics. Pretend she is a baby puppy and you are house training her for the first time.

1. Go outside with her and stay outside with her until she has performed. As soon as she poops or pees, praise her lavishly and give her a really good treat. Do this EVERY SINGLE TIME she performs outside. Maybe keep something special, such as tiny cubes of cheese, only as a potty reward.
    2. Do NOT confront/scold her about going indoors. I guarantee that unless you are actually scolding her while she is in the act she has no clue why you are cross. She only knows that you are cross and retires into her kennel until you stop being cross. Scolding just confuses her and might even discourage her from good behaviours. If she is quietly lying down (even if it's next to a poop she did 10 minutes ago) and you scold her, she thinks you are scolding her for quietly lying down. You can point at the poop all you like - she won't know why. Honestly. But now she thinks twice about quietly lying down in your presence when actually, if you have a feisty pup, you DO want her to lie down quietly at times.
    3. Even if you catch her in the act, resist the temptation to scold her. Scolding does not necessarily mean pottying indoors is bad. To her, it could mean pottying in front of you is bad. Then it's easier to do it hidden behind the sofa or somewhere else it can fester for ages which is no fun. Distract her by clapping hands or speaking in a calm way. Pick her up and deposit her outside (stay with her). If she finishes the job outside, praise lavishly and treat.
    4. Keep her away from the bed she likes to pee on.
    5. Keep a very close eye on her so you can spot any signs she needs to go and take her outside. Leash her to you, if necessary, so she can't sneak off.
    6. Consider starting her on a schedule if you currently rely on her asking to go out. Pugs don't always ask, and if they do their signals can be very subtle and easily missed. If you feed, walk and play at roughly the same times each day and note down when she does what you should see a pattern to her pottying emerge. Then you can take her out at those times rather than going out every hour to see what happens as you would have to with a baby pup.

Good luck

Oh, and clean up any accidents with something that totally removes the smell even to a dog's nose. They like to go where they have gone before.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

We are glad you found us. We all have had a moment when we thought our Pug puppy was just to much ! Most Pug puppies can be wild! My Bruno was a little devil and now is a Therapy dog !
    Yes she established a pattern you are correct and the same for going in the kennel after being scolded. The best advise I give is get a routine going and stick to it. A puppy is a lot when you have young children. Close up the kids rooms not just because she pees on the bed but a puppy can get in mischief with toys and even get hurt . I believe you can get a handle on the situation but it will be extra work on your part. Maybe get a in home trainer to give you pointers. If you still decide to re home consider this forum you will not find a better place to help you which what ever you decide !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Hello and to PugVillage. Glad you have joined us. When most people get a Pug puppy they are expecting a couch potato and much to their surprise find they have a bitey, Tasmanian Devil. They are also notoriously hard to potty train and generally hate having their nails cut. With all that said, once the land shark stage is over you will never find a funnier, more devoted, loving and loyal best friend and companion. Snifter gave you excellent advice. I hope you will stay with us. We love photos here so would love to see pix of Phoenix.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I would purchase an xpen...... I would not let her play outside for a while. When she goes out.....she goes into the xpen....When she potties...she gets a treat and lots of praise. When she's done.....then she can come out and play or you can take her in the house to play. You need to be consistant!!!! The other thing you can do......is take her out, put her in her area. If she doesn't potty...she goes into her crate. 15 min later...repeat until she goes outside.

Keep your eyes on her.....doors closed to beds. If she sleeps with your daughter...then she has to potty before......otherwise, it's a crate! She'll learn!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=xpen&c...ANNTA1&PC=U531
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Welcome to PugVillage!

Excellent advice above. It's been so long since I've potty trained a dog and I don't have anything to add. I hope you are able to find a solution that works and helps Phoenix learn what is expected of her.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi & I agree with all above--great advice! Also, she might be peeing in that bed because she might have smelled urine there if your kids ever wet the bed there--it is so very hard to get all the smell out of a mattress! And of course, once she has started going there, she doesn't understand there is anything wrong with it, so just keeps going there...... I would work on cleaning the mattress the best you can & use one of those enzymatic spray cleaners, like Nature's Miracle or similar. Maybe put a waterproof mattress pad on the bed & really try to keep any urine cleaned up immediately......get your kids involved in her training by *gently* keeping her out of their rooms. Maybe she could sleep in a crate, or a separate room. She won't like it at first, but would eventually get used to it. Earplugs, if necessary! She is at that age where soon she will gradually start settling down & in another year, probably a lot of the naughtiness will be outgrown. Good luck & please keep us posted.......If you do decide to rehome her, there are any number of people on here who would love to have her (including me!) but I really hope you will be able to hang in there & continue her training & she will grow into the dog you've always wanted.....everybody on here will help you with specific problems the best they can......and we would love to see pics!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Thank you all for the feedback! We decided to keep her and really put in the extra effort in working with her. Last night was a good night!

Here are some photos of Phoenix:

7e590ae4-f8e8-4990-ae14-3441b1ae6878.jpegb7e7a994-7ecd-47b3-98d7-ee0b277c1206.jpegbb628990-db3b-4d4f-9aa1-badc33dee1d7.jpeg

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Phoenix is adorable. Who is the other little cutie I see in the bed in the background?
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast