Potty problems
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potty problems

Unhappy Potty problems

My girlfriend and I just got a male puppy last Thursday, and he is doing fine, except for the fact that he will pee and poop excessively. For instance, tonight, he peed 3 times in a matter of 15 minutes and also found time to poopy in that span. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is it something that the puppy will grow out of? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

How old is your puppy? What food are you feeding? And what it your potty routine?

I agree with all the other questions.

Also have you taken him to the vet yet for a check up?

Just a general note, when Oscar was a pup, he was outside right after he ate or drank. Everything goes right thru them when they are so wee :)

Anyway, congrats

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Oscar is going to be 9 weeks old on Saturday. We are feeding him Purina One and Diamond mixed at this point, with a little bit of cottage cheese to keep his stools firm.

When we get home, we let him out, and he goes. We try and watch for the signs of when he needs to go; circling, sniffing around, that sort of thing. There really is no telling when he will go next though, he will stop what he is doing and pee. Sometimes he is good and goes to the paper, other times, he will just do it where he stands. Most of the time, it is just a small drop of pee (maybe dime size). He has been pooping more frequently too, and just like the pee, it is a very small amount. We took him to the vet last weekend for his initial checkup, but didn't mention it then. We will definitely mention it this weekend when he gets his second set of shots.

Do you think that it is a bladder infection? I sure hope not.

Pugweiser is offline Village Pug Brewery

At nine weeks old you should just be routinely taking him out at least every two hours automatically - dont wait for him to show you signs. At that age by time you think you may see a sign - its too late.
    Hugs,
    Renee, Junior, Frito, Elliot, Squirt & Rocco

**Nothing says "I Love You" like a Pug sneezing in your face!**

In memory of my "Heart" Pugweiser - 7/12/03 - 4/1/07 - Lost to P.D.E. (Pug Dog Encephalitis)

"Heaven's the place where all the dogs you have ever loved come to greet you."

Nice name ;)

My Oscar rarely gives me a sign he's got to go, never has. Aside from sniffing, which could be 'I'm trying to find some food'

How many times a day do you feed him?

When Oscar was a wee pup, I took him out about every hour or less, when he was out of crate. If he was just playing like crazy, I'd take him out immediately, regardless of when he was out last. Excited puppies pee :) Then, I slowly increased the time between trips outside.

For a few months Oscar would still dribble when we came home & he was really excited.

emma is offline None

My Lily is the same age...we basically just take her outside every hour or two..so she doesn't get the urge to go inside. Maybe he's just excited to see you! Puppies go to the bathroom wayyyyy more times then I expected. As Lily settled into her new home she was less sporadic in her accidents..she got used to the schedule..it takes a while. Good luck!

Basically what I am reading, and correct me if I am wrong, peeing 3 times in 15 minutes for example, is normal for a puppy? We live in a condo, and it is not possible just to let him out, we have to take him out, otherwise he would run away. I guess we will just take him out every hour, until he starts to hold it. Hopefully that does the trick. However, I am still open to more suggestions and stories. Thanks!

Dayna is offline Village Southern Belle Princess

We lived in a townhouse when we got Bear and couldn't just let him out either. So we started his potty training by using those wee pads instead of newspaper because they have something in them that the puppies (in most cases) smell and realize they need to go there. Every week we'd move the wee pads closer and closer to the door and within like 4 weeks he was going almost to the door and we'd know when he headed over that way he had to go and we'd run to take him out. It took a while after that to get him beyond the door but after a while we put the pad outside the sliding glass door and he'd paw at the door to get to it. Now thats still how he tells us he's got to go and he's 3!

I know a lot of people don't like "paper training" their dogs because they think it might be confusing or whatnot but it really helped with us and Bear. Unfortunatly our living situation didn't permit us to just let him out all the time. Soo maybe it would help with you as well....goodluck with it!!
    Loving Mommy to Bear and Annabelle
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    And WIFE of Jason...my heart!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit Bear at: http://www.dogster.com/?61580

May your troubles be less, your blessings more, and nothing but happiness comes through your door
    Live well..laugh often..love much
    Help SEPRA when you search use:
    http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=807646

I live in a condo as well, its so nice when you have a yard!
    Anyway, you get a lot of exercise running up & down stairs when they are young :)

I can't imagine living in a highrise condo & having to wait for elevator, etc...
    Luckily, I'm on first floor, so I don't have far to go. My Oscar was crate trained. I didn't want to add the wee pads into the mix as well, so he only goes outside.

Peeing 3 times in 15 mins seems like a lot to me, but maybe if he's over excited.
    You can give the vet a call & see what they say.

Are you crate training Oscar?
    Is he able to hold it longer at nite?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast