Annoying Beep so Loud it Hurts My Ears & Freaked Out the Dogs...
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Annoying Beep so Loud it Hurts My Ears & Freaked Out the Dogs...

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Default Annoying Beep so Loud it Hurts My Ears & Freaked Out the Dogs...

Don't know if I can get any help for this problem here or not, since it is a problem that started right after I (stupidly) updated Internet Explorer because my g-mail said I needed to because it wasn't supported any longer, etc. On Pug Village, for awhile now, sometimes when I hit "post reply," a box sometimes pops up that says "are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?" I've wondered what that was about, but it didn't seem to cause me any real problem. But now, after I updated the Internet Explorer & then my computer did like 75 updates, now when that box pops up, it is accompanied by such a loud "BEEEP" that it actually hurt my ears & the dogs started barking, then Rugby goes & hides in her bed! Also, I have to go on the internet with a 3 G AT&T Connection, & it isn't working right, either--I eventually get on, but not before I have to restart my computer. All was working smoothely before I did that Internet Explorer Update. I'm such a technodummy.....
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Tonight it beeped loud when I hit a "Like" button & it showed "an error occurred...." Molly jumped up off her pillow bed & gave me a sad look....
    Rugbysmom

myboysRmylife is offline Village Admiral

Ugh, that sounds super annoying! I can't help with your IE problem, but have you tried a different browser? I switch between Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome. Give one of those a try. They're free to download, and if you're like me, you'll never use IE again. Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Russ is offline Village Royalty
    Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

It sounds like it is the default windows sound for errors. Take a look at the Sounds setting. You can find it on the speaker icon if you right click it and select 'sounds'. The dialog will look something like this:

Windows/IE is not doing this to annoy you, somehow it got enabled.
    PV also needs you to enable Compatibility Mode - this allows the new version of IE to work properly with older web sites. IF you do not enable compatibility mode some of the display will be off (like on the main page the pug photos will wrap to a new line)

The message about leaving page is because the PV software thinks there is an unsaved change. I have seen it happen at strange times but I don't worry about it. That usually works right. :)

Thank you for the help....Russ, dh & I tried doing the above earlier tonight, but we obviously didn't do something right--maybe didn't save it right or apply it right or something, & we also didn't know where to find that compatibility mode (now I see that you had said it is at PV--I think we were looking for it in Control Panel), so several more loud beeps later, dh just decided to restore it to a previous setting from about a week ago & so far so good--no more loud beeps. I think it fixed the 3G connection problem also. Thanks for trying to help--couple of hopeless technodummies here!
    Rugbysmom

+ Reply to Thread