Edit not working - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Edit not working

Russ is offline Village Royalty
    Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

The first thing to try when seeing strange things like this is to clear the browser cache - for any browser it's the best first step. For IE you can also set compatibility mode. This make the browser act like it's an older version of the browser. PV used to require compatibility mode, now the only display problem I see is on the main PV page where the Pug Photos link shows up on a second line unless I'm in compatibility mode. BTW: I run IE11 when visiting PV on a PC - without compatibility mode.

Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I fired up the debugger and the error for editing is an code bug

+"_edit_reason").onkeypress=vB_AJAX_QuickEditor_Ev ents.prototype.reason_key_trap}if(typeof JSON=="object"&&typeof JSON.parse=="function"){var ckeconfig=JSON.parse(fetch_tags(ajax.responseXML," ckeconfig")[0].firstChild.nodeValue)}else{var ckeconfig=eval("("+fetch_tags(ajax.responseXML,"ck econfig")[0].firstChild.nodeValue+")")}if(vBulletin.attachinfo )

It's resulting in an unterminated string. Since the debugger popped up in the edit section of the page code it seems likely to be the cause.

There is also bugs showing up in the google ad server calls, and at least one of the served ads I was to get couldn't be displayed because it wasn't a valid image.

So this time, clearing browser cache won't work, have to wait for a code fix it seems. - OR set browser to IE9 compatibility mode - like I just did.

edit check
    Last edited by Suri; 11-09-2014 at 08:05 AM.
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

Amy did message the webmaster about this issue. Hopefu;;y it will be fixed soon. I am going to check if I have any problems yet.

I can still edit. I use chrome.
    Susan, mom to Desi, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy,Bo, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Since seeing this post I did a bit of testing. PC-1: will only work if set to emulate IE9. PC-2: Works fine in any mode. The only difference is PC-2 has the full suite of development tools on it whereas PC-1 is very basic - nothing special. PC-2 has Microsoft Office, PC-1 doesn't.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Russ - thanks so much for looking into this!
    I do have a message in to the webmaster and admin about the issue and hopefully they will be able to find out what the problem is.

In addition to not being able to edit, I've also found that after I write a post, instead of being taken back to my new post on the thread, I'm returned to the thread, but it looks like I didn't post. If I refresh the page, my post shows up! But not until I refresh each page.
    glebou likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Edit: I should have said "hopefully they will be able to fix the problem" ..... since you already found it, Russ! But I can't edit my post to write that unless I switch to Firefox and re-log in. Sigh.

***testing testing testing..**** by YUNG
    Last edited by admin; 11-10-2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: testing
    Village Moderator

Forever in our hearts:
    And my Heart-Dog...

admin is offline Administrator

Are you guys still having issues with this?

Yes, and surprise The error goes away when I enable tracking protection. So, IE11 - tracking protection off = error.

I would look into the data being returned - embedded quote might be the problem.

But, for the IE11 users, turn on tracking protection to get past the error. I was scratching my head last night wondering what was different between the 2 computers - both with IE11. This was the only difference, I'd never bothered to enable tracking protection on the one that couldn't edit posts.

Well, it's not straight up tracking protection. after the page loads, click the circle with the line through it (no glyph) that is on the right end of the URL. You'll get a message to block {some number} services on this site. Click Block. you'll be able to edit on the page. Next page you may not be able to edit without repeating. Tracking protection is reporting that it's on in both cases.

I'll be at a conference the rest of the week and doubt I'll have a chance to debug more until afterwards.

BTW, the Windows 8.1 Modern browser does not seem to have the issue. not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
    Are you guys still having issues with this?
    Yes, I'm still having the same problem. I just tried it now, before posting this, and still no option to save an edit.
    Village Moderator

Forever in our hearts:
    And my Heart-Dog...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast