How long does it take for pugs to bond?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Nina_W
  • 1 Post By MNpugGrandma

Thread: How long does it take for pugs to bond?

oklahomapugmomma is offline New to the Village

Default How long does it take for pugs to bond?

Hello everyone!

So I have a dilemma. Backstory: I'm a new pug-mom, I've had one elderly pug for 2 years, and he's been the best, sweetest boy. He's 12 years old, and I adopted him from a pug rescue. It took about 2 weeks for him to acclimate to me since he is blind, but after those 2 weeks he has been an absolute joy and blessing. His name is Magoo, and he used to live with multiple pugs and he really enjoyed their company.

The problem: I decided to adopt a new pug, a 10 year old boy named Biff. His foster mother said he was very well-behaved and loved playing with the other pugs. I introduced him to my old pug by walking them both outside, and they seemed to get along fine. However, as 2 days passed the new pug has started to mark indoors and he's also started to hump and lick my old pug. I take them both out about 4 times daily, and I walk Biff for an extra 10 minutes each time since he was marking pretty much daily (it's been a week), and the marking hasn't stopped. He continues to hump Magoo, and now Magoo has been humping him back and they both take turns licking each other's penises. They don't bark at each other, or bite, I just don't know if it's good or normal. When they're not humping each other or licking each other, they just go their own separate ways.

Questions: Is it normal for boys to behave this way?
    How long will it take a new dog to get used to his new house with an additional dog?
    Will a belly band be a good solution to stop the marking?

Thanks so much!

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Humping can be playing - sounds to me like they have bonded, especially since the humping goes both ways :) Yes, this is within normal dog behaviour, though often not the kind we humans like very much.

Belly bands can help. Have him checked for a UTI as well. Mainly, you need to clean really, really, really well wherever he has marked (an enzymatic cleaner purpose made would be a good idea). What is crucial, though, is that he does not mark any more, and only goes outside. Every time he does it, he reinforced the behaviour. So, put him on a leash and strap him to you when you're home, and gently interrupt him and take him outside every time he so much as thinks of lifting his leg. Reward him with a treat or a play if he does go outside. Crate him, or put him somewhere where you're ok with him marking, if you cannot watch him. It take some time, especially with dogs with a well formed habit, but you can completely teach him to not do this.

Belly bands can help you have him not mark, but some just don't care and mark anyway, thus soiling themselves, and it still won't change the behaviour - only persistence from you can do that.

As for how long it takes for a new dog to get used to a house. Well. Rescues say one day, one week, one month, one year - as in, at each of those milestones, your dog's behaviour will have changed to closer and closer to what it will be for them, long term. I can definitely agree that after a year, they are generally settled. It's not something that happens quickly.

If the humping is an issue, I'd suggest calling in a trainer. The trainer will help you figure out a way to re-direct humpy play into another kind of play that is less of a problem. Look for one that works with positive methods.

JoanneN is offline Village Governor

They are all different. I foster for a rescue and none of my fosters have been the same. I would definitely get some bally bands. The humping drives me crazy, but in my experience it generally resolves itself. Good luck!
    Joanne
    Mom to Goliath and Penny.
    Dora and Brutus are waiting for us at the bridge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response!

I did get a belly band and have been very watchful about his marking. So-far so good. I'm going to keep it on him while he is indoors.

About the humping, the boys seemed to be getting along fine and recently Magoo (the shy pug) has been avoiding Biff, so now I think I need to get a trainer to get him to stop humping Magoo, since Magoo seems genuinely annoyed. :(

How long did it take for the humping to stop? Also, thanks for your reply as well!!

MNpugGrandma is offline Village Puppy

I don't know anything about the humping and there was no marking. My grand pugs do it occasionally. My son had two pugs a male and female both 14. He got a new rescue last October and he was just 7 and very energetic. No problems except the new pug demanded to be acknowledged and petted first when my son came home. The other two just accepted it and waited. The older male was a Velcro pug before and still is. It took about two months before they were all sleeping in the same dog bed. It helped when winter came and they wanted to snuggle. They all have their own spots in my son's bed where they sleep at night.

I think I remember Magoo from Homeward Bound of OKC. I loved him. If that is him, bless you for giving him a home. That is where my son's pug Joey (Joseph) came from.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Elaine the MN pug grandma

+ Reply to Thread