Herniated disc with anxiety problems .
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Herniated disc with anxiety problems .

Old Mother Hubbard is offline Village Admiral

Default Herniated disc with anxiety problems .

My 12 year old Pug Winston has a herniated disc. He is not a surgery candidate due to a heart murmur and collapsing trachea . He's been on crate rest for a month and has been getting accupuncture and cold laser. He takes his last dose of prednisone tomorrow. He's normally a very mellow boy but this last two weeks we are seeing some anxiety. Vet thinks could be the prednisone causing it . We've tried everything , Chinese herbs to relax him , dap spray , tons of chews and kongs. He has a cart coming Wednesday and we have the Hold me up harness . Any ideas on how to help the anxiety and my sanity would be much appreciated .
    My 4 sons Winston Wellington Nelson and Cromwell.
    www.pugvillageofhope.info/

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

what about rescue remedy? I haven't tried it, but I've heard it's very good. Also they have t-shirts that are calming.....they may be called thundershirts because sometimes dogs get anxiety during a thunderstorm

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

We had one in rescue years ago. She was younger and the vet wanted to do surgery. Our chairperson took her to a vet/chiro. She went weekly, then every other week...then every month......was adopted out....went twice a year....and then only once a year.......Did really well! He did an adjustment first and then acupuncture. Not sure if chinese herbs were involved as he did those too.

Seeing a good healing!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I second the idea of trying a Thundershirt. We've had mixed results here, but it may be worth a try. The Thundershirt doesn't seem to do anything for Nilla, but it does help calm Wonka when he's anxious during nail trims.

I hope the anxiety clears when the prednisone is done. Sending best wishes and healing vibes for Winston.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread