• 1 Post By Lu Ci and Ri Ki
  • 2 Post By Snifter
  • 8 Post By dhltm
  • 1 Post By puglover22

Thread: Old Man Louie - Behavior Changes

dhltm is offline New to the Village

DefaultOld Man Louie - Behavior Changes

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm becoming increasingly concerned about my 10 year old Pug, Louie. I'm looking for possible solutions or suggestions about my best friend.

I'll start by mentioning that Louie always used to sleep under the covers with me in my bed (with the exception on hot summer nights). About a week or so ago, he started to refuse to sleep with me in or even on the bed. He won't even snuggle on the couch anymore. Instead of sleeping, he paces throughout the day and night.

He has the typical pug appetite, continues to enjoy our walkies, and continues to have a happy-go-lucky attitude. I'm at a loss, and maybe some of you have ideas about this sudden behavior change. Thanks!

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Admiral

I am always cautious with any changes in dog behavior .
    First I check if I changed anything in my dogs environment or routine . Of this is not the case I go to the vet for a throughout check up . Pacing at night seems to me certainly something I would want the vet to check .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I agree! It sounds like Louie needs a checkup at the vet to make sure nothing is going on that might have caused this sudden change. Pacing at night could be due to pain, possibly doggie dementia... lots of other things.
    Sending best wishes for Louie. I hope you find an easy solution and that he is back to normal soon.
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and introducing... Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

A Vet visit is definitely in order but my first thought was Sundowner Syndrome. A quick Google search brings this up: "Sundowner Syndrome In Dogs. ... In dogs with canine cognitive dysfunction, Sundowner Syndrome can lead to confusion, restlessness, agitation, repetitive pacing, barking for no apparent reason, irritability, or neediness (causing otherwise independent dogs to become “velcro dogs” as night approaches). I hope you will update us with what you find out.
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

My Snifter had Canine Cognitive Disorder. In his case we did not have night time issues, but I have read that it is common. In his case he would space out and get "lost" in the house or garden just standing staring at a wall. There are drugs that can improve things - Snifter was on vitofyllin and it worked wonders for quite a while. At the age of 10 I would think the onset of CCD is definitely a possibility but you should consult the vet.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

dhltm is offline New to the Village

Thank you everyone for your concern and suggestions. I appreciate it.

I spoke with the vet, and Louie is most likely experiencing Sundowner syndrome. The vet recommended going on longer walks in the evening, benadryl before bedtime, and keeping the house very well lit during the daytime. I followed the vet's advice, and Louie didn't pace at all last night. He even slept on the bed throughout the night! I'm hoping that last night wasn't a fluke, but if it is, the vet recommended medication.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I'm so glad to hear that you got good results after trying a couple things! I hope it continues!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

+ Reply to Thread