• 3 Post By shaynapug
  • 2 Post By Lu Ci and Ri Ki
  • 2 Post By NTrivento
  • 2 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Simba seems to be declining in front of our eyes

NTrivento is offline Village Puppy

Default Simba seems to be declining in front of our eyes

Hi everyone Happy New Year! It's been a while and let me begin by saying my wife and I are so blessed to have Simba with us for 14 1/2 years now. I do have to say though it seems that in the past 6 weeks Simba has taken a turn for the aging worst; at least that's what we think. Ever since Thanksgiving, after that first winter storm in NY the following changes have started

Doesn't want to play with his favorite sheep toy after dinner
    Has lost interest in a lot (except food of course)
    Arthritis has gotten worse
    Sleeps much more than before
    He seems to be losing his vision more and more each day and does whine alot. The whining started around the time of vision problems
    Lots of panting

We had a Geriatric Screening done on him and according to our family vet everything seems to be perfectly normal except for elevated liver enzymes (ALT 220 where normal is no more than 110). He also doesn't exhibit pain according to her and we started a liver supplement

Simba has been deaf for quite a few years now and he was very well adjusted. I can't fathom what it can be like to have 2 senses gone at this point. Vision is not 100% gone but he's got that "stare" as I call it, bumps into things, stares at the wall, etc.

This is all so new to us as parents and I feel as though this is the end. We took that quality of life scale survey out there and Simba is at almost 60 points.

We've already started researching this blindness in older dogs and according to what we've read they will adopt as long as you follow some basic guidelines.

Apologies for the long winded post. Any advise or suggestions from the group would be really helpful. Don't know if this makes sense but I feel like this is harder on us than him

Thanks
    Nick

tall grass pugs is online now Village Orb Weaver Advocate

I am very sorry to hear of his troubles, he is lucky to live with you and your loving care. Try not to change any furniture around, and talk to him, and use scent cues. Good news that he is still eating with interest. Soften his journey with praise and love, many pugs live until their late teens.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

I'm so sorry that Simba seems to be declining......I would keep a close eye on him, & try to be prepared (as best you can!) to not let him suffer. We never want to lose our precious babies....Our Lab, Molly, lived with elevated ALT for about 3 yrs & was on a supplement. Vet said her levels weren't extremely high, & sometimes ALT levels can be a little high & go back to normal, but liver failure is terrible, so I would listen to your vet, love & enjoy Simba for as long as you can, & I hope & pray he will have a long time with you yet!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Doesn't want to play with his favorite sheep toy after dinner

Fair enough at his age - but continue to have it around him in case he wants it. Could be a sign he's not happy, could just be he can't be bothered.

Has lost interest in a lot (except food of course)

Again it's hard to tell if this is a problem or just an ageing thing. Losing interest in food would be a sure sign of a problem.

Arthritis has gotten worse

Is he on meds? Discuss this with the vet. He should move around as much as possible and arthritic pain could be compromising this. At his age you should not be worrying too much about any long term side effects (sorry to sound blunt - we had this conversation about Snifter). Maybe he should be started on meds or have his dosage increased a little. Try supplementing with turmeric - it helped us.

Sleeps much more than before

I wouldn't worry too much about this

He seems to be losing his vision more and more each day and does whine alot. The whining started around the time of vision problems

Snifter was almost blind at the end but you wouldn't have realised. He knew his way round the house and we never moved furniture. Whining could be related to the vision problems or could be a sign of Canine Cognitive Disorder. Might be worth discussing meds with the vet for CCD. Whining could also be pain/arthritis related, though. My inclination would be to address the arthritis first and see if his demeanour changes. Since he is deaf as well you really need to maximise his sense of smell. Don't startle him by an unexpected approach. Don't wake him by touch until you have held your hand near his nose. Speak to him anyway before touching him - he can probably pick up on the vibrations of your voice or the air movement near his whiskers as you speak. Even using a slightly heavier footfall round the house might help him orientate to where you are a bit more.

Lots of panting

This could be a sign of discomfort or pain or worry (CCD?). Again, I'd address the arthritis first and go from there.

Sorry to hear your old guy is slowing down. There are things you can do/try but it's tough seeing an old friend get frail. Pug hugs.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I agree with Bella.....

If she's comfy......eating well....and wanting to be near you....she'll do okay!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is online now Village Ya-Ya

Excellent advice from Bella. I will be praying you get some answers and a treatment plan that will give you many, many more good days with Simba.
    NTrivento and Rugbysmom like this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

NTrivento is offline Village Puppy

Thank you Bella and everyone so much for the kind words and informative advice. Simba is in fact on Metacam for his arthritis and has been for quite some time. Vet said that could be the reason for elevated Liver enzymes but we will see after a month of liver supplement. This actually all started because the limping got much worse and we were exploring maybe adding a different med to his regimen then the vision problems seem to come out of nowhere.

Regarding getting used to the onset of blindness we will definitely take some of your advise around talking before touching. We had the furniture part all covered already and trying to do get into a solid routine for him.

We will see the vet Monday for a thorough eye examination and will mention CCD. I did mention that once before to our vet but wasn't aware of a med we can put Simba on to help.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again
    puglover22 and Rugbysmom like this.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I'm so sorry your pug is having problems. I'm facing very similar issues with Tinker,she will be 15 in Feb. She's on Dercoxib and Gabopentin, and Pepcid by mouth and Adequan injection. I also have been having a mobile vet come to the house for acupuncture once a month. I do think Simba has pain that is affecting everything else and hopefully you can get him more comfortable. Have you had X-rays done? Dogs are very stoic and will hide things well as far as pain goes. You also might want to, consider a consult with another vet,sometimes a second set of eyes are valuable. We have to carry her down the 5 steps to the outside but she is still eating, drinking and going potty as before,it just takes her longer. Sometimes she can make it back up the steps and sometimes not. It's heart breaking but aging is not for the faint of heart, for them or us. Prayers of guidance for you and your vet.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

The drug Snifter had for his CCD was called Vitofyllin. It may be called Vivitonin where you are, and the generic is Propentofylline.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Lots of good advice above. I'm sorry that Simba is having issues. I hope your vet can give you some guidance and that the med's help with the elevated liver values.
    It is so difficult to watch our fur-babies get old. Sending thoughts of comfort and health for Simba.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread