Hello Friends! Pug having issues with back legs and hips.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Hello Friends! Pug having issues with back legs and hips.

tarynlandon is offline New to the Village

Default Hello Friends! Pug having issues with back legs and hips.

Hello PV!

I wanted to post in here again as you all were such a help last year when my girl, Lulu Bizkit, was really under the weather.

To update, Lulu is almost 12, and up until this last weekend, had zero issues at all with walking and mobility. Around last Wednesday morning and out of the blue, she starting swaying her hips and really leaning to the right side. We of course got the first vet appointment we could with our clinic and after xrays and blood draw, they said she had some slight swelling on her spine and her left hip is showing signs of weakness, but nothing too extreme or out of the ordinary for her age. Her blood draw all came back completely normal and she is well within her healthy weight.

I may be jumping the gun here and that's what I wanted to come in for advice. She is now been on Deramaxx and Robaxin for 3 days. She also had a laser treatment on her hip. She also takes a daily chew for her hips and joints (glucosamine). There has been little to no change. And she really struggles in the morning. We are of course doing very lite walking, no stairs or rough ground, and taking great care of her! And the good news is, she is still very much her pugself with her eating and demanding treats and no issues at all with going to the bathroom, except that she absolutely does not want to squat, so we are playing a little bit of "catching the poop" while walking haha.

My question is, am I being too worried too soon? This pug, like many of the ones here, is my whole life and whole heart. We love her immensely and will do anything we can to help her.

Thanks for any advice! LLB.JPG
    Last edited by tarynlandon; 07-06-2021 at 12:13 PM.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I'd take her to a chiropractor!!!! Her lower back is out! Had one of mine do this years ago. She missed jumping up on a chair and landed straight on her butt! Was fine....but the next AM could not squat to piddle....Did xrays and vet said just bruised. Took her to a chiropractor/vet and I heard her snap back in when he adjusted her. Gave her acupuncture right after for the swelling and she was fine!!!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I love the picture - what a sweet face!! And her bed with pug faces on it is so cute.

I'm so sorry that Lulu Bizkit is having this mobility problem. The swelling on her spine could definitely be causing this and the good news is that the anti-inflammatory she's on should help with that. Continue rest and restricted walking/exercise for at least another week or however long your vet recommends. Sometimes they'll recommend three weeks. Don't let her jump off of furniture or do stairs on her own. If you can afford to get regular cold laser treatment then that would be a good thing to continue. We found that with our boy repeated treatments made a much bigger difference for his arthritis and weakness.

Sending best wishes for Lulu to make a speedy recovery.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

I'm sorry I don't have any advice but did want to say that I'll be praying for Lulu's recovery. She is such a pretty Puggie girl.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

I would second a chiropractor. She’s a booful baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

evee is offline Village Puppy

yeah i would go too.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

yep.....a chiropractor can add years and quality to their lives
    shaynapug and Lu Ci and Ri Ki like this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

tarynlandon is offline New to the Village

Hello pug friends!

I wanted to first say thank you all for the advice and sweet messages! Those have really helped. I wanted to let you all know that Lulu did have a slipped disc and some minor nerve damage in her back and we are seeing improvement every single day! She does PT and goes to laser and acupuncture therapy once a week. She has had some really dark days and we have shed many tears, but we do believe those days are behind us now! We are not sure if she fell while we were out of the house or just injured herself in some strange way, but whatever it was, we believe she is absolutely on the mend and should gain most of her walking functions back. She continues to eat and snort and eat and snort some more, just like a pug loves to do!

Thank you all very much and I wish you all health and happiness with your pug families too!

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

So nice to see your update. I'm so glad that Lulu is recovering and I hope she makes a full recovery.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Thank you for updating us. I'm so glad you got a diagnosis and are getting treatment for Lulu. I will be praying that she makes a complete recovery.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast