My Pug neither wants to stand nor walk (X-ray attached)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My Pug neither wants to stand nor walk (X-ray attached)

Madhumita is offline New to the Village

Default My Pug neither wants to stand nor walk (X-ray attached)

Hi There,

We have a sweet pug called Gullu. He is 13 years old and he never had any medical issues and we never took him to a Doctor. Chicken and rice is his favorite food. I call him innocent-calf and sometimes bullet-train (because sometimes he runs so fast that I can't get a hold of him).

Recently, while chewing a chicken bone he cried (koo-koo kinda sound) and ran away. For the next 3-5 days he didn't eat at all and refused to come to his eating place. He refused to eat any food and refused to even drink water. We took him to 3 different vet doctors and they all said he has a very solid/heavy formation of tartar on his gums. They need to clean it but since he is a senior dog it's is risky to give anesthesia to him. Since he was not eating, they gave him saline, glucose, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory through IV. He was alight in the next 4 days but then it was a total of 8-10 days he had eaten anything through his mouth.

As soon as he got alright he demanded food (we gave him Hill's prescription diet a/d because we did not want him to chew anything) and he ate a lot and then the next day he started hunching his back as if contracting his stomach and he stopped walking and then he stopped standing by the end of the day. In certain postures, he started making the sounds he makes when he is in pain. For now, we help him to stand, and only then he does the daily things like urine and poop. He used to urinate many times and at different places like they do but now only once a day at max and this is when he throws out all of the urine. Many times he tries to get up to come to us but he can't and so he cries (koo-koo). For now we help him stand by holding his rear (hind?) legs. He puts all of his weight on front legs to stand which imbalances him and he falls down. So every single time I hold his rear legs softly so that he can stand.

We are giving him iron, calcium and other supplements as recommended. We gave him Dibaq's chicken and duck before we shifted him to chicken and rice today (after running int through mixer/grinder/blender in out kitchen). I was both surprised and shocked knowing that he was running like crazy for years and suddenly doctors are saying he won't be running. I don't have words for the pain I feel when he cries in certain postures, when I see him not being able to walk and stand without help. He is not an animal for us, he is our son.

We did X-ray and there seems to be lot of damage to his hop joints (osteoarthritis). One Dr has recommended Pentosan polysulphates injection (one injection per week for 4 weeks). It is also known as Cartrophen and Osteopen in other countries. Dr said he will be able to walk again with this. Anyone has experience with this medicine?

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I'm sorry....I cannot help you! The vet should give you something for pain.... The hunching could be from pain as well....... Here's hoping you find a solution to make him comfortable and don't have to make the most loving decision of all! Once you get him comfortable, you might be able to either buy or make a set of wheels for him to stand and move on.
    Wonka & Nilla and Rugbysmom like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Thanks for replying Diane.

I searched YouTube video for making set of wheels. Got so-so kind of videos. You have any videos/links/articles on that are good?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

I am no vet and only can tell you what my 1st thoughts are.
    Your Pug ate chicken and rice for years. You switch to Hills and your dog is in pain . The way you describe it and from what I know I say he might got pancreatitis. It is very painful. A vet can test for it and give meds.
    Arthritis does come one slow and builds over time.

I understand he is older and needs a teeth cleaning. Does he let you touch his mouth? I say for now try to get him used to being touched on his mouth.

Often bad teeth can cause other problems and with him never having a dental it may be beneficial after all to get his teeth checked by a dentist and way risks and benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I'm sorry that Gullu is having these issues with standing and walking. It sounds like he is having pain and so my first suggestion would be to ask the vet for something to help with the pain. You also need to figure out what is causing the pain. Is it his stomach or is it his back? If it's his stomach then it might be pancreatitis as mentioned above and he will need a very bland diet to help him recover. If he injured his back (sprained or twisted badly) then it might take several weeks of limited movement before he heals and starts to feel better. If it's the arthritis in his back then the Pentosan polysulphates injection (Cartrophen) might help a bit, but I wouldn't call it a miracle that would guarantee he will walk again. One of our pugs got Cartrophen for a while and it did seem to help a bit, but I feel like other things helped more.
    I am sorry that Gullu isn't feeling well. It's very hard on us as the humans to see our pets in pain and not know exactly how to help them. I hope you can figure out what the cause of his pain is and find a treatment that will help.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Madhumita View Post
    Thanks for replying Diane.

I searched YouTube video for making set of wheels. Got so-so kind of videos. You have any videos/links/articles on that are good?

There's a terrific group on FB that might be able to help with the wheels.....https://www.facebook.com/groups/1426984957513140

But first you need to find out the cause of his pain and get that under control!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Prayers you get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Be persistent with the vet.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

Hoping he can feel better. How is he today?

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

Sorry guys, I have been busy running around vet clinics and hospitals. Thank you so much your concern and suggestions. It means a lot.

Good news is he is trying to stand and walk himself. Even though he falls, he still tries to. He has a spirit of a fighter (just like his mother). Since tiles in our new place are quite slippery, we don't let him walk there. Yeah, we have anti-slip shoes for him but still we don't let him walk there. He is mostly sitting or sleeping inside the house. Outside, I help him to walk and he is improving. We got his blood work done and his kidney and liver both are in great shape. A few days ago he started having blood in his urine and hence we did a urine test and came to know he got UTI. He started urinating on his bed because he could not control.

He is on anti-bionics and supplements for next 15 days. So far he is eating well but having disturbed sleep. He cries occasionally while sleeping and that makes us get up and when we just touch him or massage him, he feels comfortable and sleeps again. We just want to see him running like before. His mother has bought a drill and gonna order some PVC pipes to start building a set of wheels for him. He is still naughty and still shows us the love the exact same way like he always did through his eyes and expressions.

I have bee on lot of forums around the internet since the age of USENET. This community is more than what I could imagine, is one of the best (if not the best). Thanks for all of your help. We will keep posting.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Thank you for the update about Gullu. I'm glad he has such a strong fighting spirit and I hope he will continue to improve and regain more of his ability to stand and walk.
    Sending many wishes for the UTI to clear up quickly and for Gullu to feel much better soon.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Madhumita like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast