New Owner very soon!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Owner very soon!

Default New Owner very soon!

Hello all!

Recently put a deposit down on a pug..(kennel club registered breader)

But this article concerns me a little..

https://www.pugvillage.com/dont_get_a_pug.htm

Is this the norm?! malting etc?!?!

Cheers

Nick

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Yes, the article is a fair description of the issues you may face.

If there is something in particular that concerns you why not tell us and we can elaborate. It is very important that you are aware of pug specific issues so they do not come as a nasty surprise and you can make sure you are prepared to handle them.

I see you're in the UK - what breeder is your pug coming from? There are quite a few Northerners on the board (though we are "darn Sarf" in Essex). Welcome!

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

M'Dear Pug is offline Administrator Emerita

Hi Nick,

What is it you're wondering about? I don't know if you've made a typographical error (what is "malting") or I'm overlooking something - it's too early in the day for me.

I consider that information to be quite accurate. Have you seen or take The Pug Profiler questionnaire?

Obviously you're going to be a first time pug owner and you're to be commended for doing a lot of research and familiarizing yourself with what I consider to be a very unique breed. My own personal opinion is that pugs are fairly high maintenance and they very much do have special care requirements.

I'm going to try to find another "thread", another discussion we had several months ago regarding what, as long time pug owners, we would say to someone considering a first pug?

We're ready, willing and able to answer any questions you may have - if there are specific concerns just ask, we'll share our personal experiences and ideas.

Welcome to PugVillage, by the way! I was given my first pug, Rosebud, as a surprise anniversary gift. I think she was app. 4-5 years old when I stumbled into my first pug forum-style website and I genuinely wish I'd known from the get-go what to expect and how to deal with several issues. Rosebud was 15 in January and still has a lot of energy and determination - as a puppy she was unusually hyperactive and that was one thing I was frustrated with for quite a long time.

I'm 61 and I don't think there has been one day in my entire life when there wasn't at least one dog in my life but I can truly say not one of them has had the personalities of pugs nor the special care requirements.

Obviously once I learned from experience and then found a wealth of help on the pug website, my genuine love and appreciation for pugs grew into what I believe will be a lifelong interest.

Ann
    http://img.mypicgallery.com/Extra/redleash_large.jpg
    Those we have held in our arms for a little while,
    we hold in our hearts forever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

weething is offline Village Admiral

Hi Nick and welcome to the village.

I ditto what Bella said. As for shedding, as long as you have a decent hoover and don't mind picking hairs from your sandwich then hey it's nothing! lol.

Tara, Monkey & Mouse

www.dogster.com/?115838 Monkey
    www.dogster.com/?160141 Mouse

Ann - I think malting refers to moulting i.e. shedding. Unless I'm missing something too. But I can't claim it is too early!

Thanks for your replies..

malting... moulting.. spelling im afraid!! also known as shedding!!

Yep UK, based in Stockport...

The breader in question is J. Cardey and is kennel Club registered..

I have no doubt im buying from a good breeder, passionate about dogs espec pugs, she has 8 plus 6 pups!! 2 from a previous litter (now 11 wks) and another 4 just born on friday gone)

The article i read, my girlfriend brought it to my attention, is a little contradictory to other artcles ive read.. they sound extremely high maintenance! health, shedding... jan said that hers tend to shed most of all not long after having a litter of pups etc.. other than that they are no worse than a yellow lab?? Do black pugs shed as much?

jan has given me a list of some books to get.. do you have any recommodations?

Ive grown up with Black Labs.. so used to them...

Cheers

Nick
    Last edited by njc11; 02-04-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weething View Post
    Hi Nick and welcome to the village.

I ditto what Bella said. As for shedding, as long as you have a decent hoover and don't mind picking hairs from your sandwich then hey it's nothing! lol.
    Picking hairs from your sandwich is the least of it! What about prying the tightly clamped jaws of your pug off said sandwich???

weething is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Snifter View Post
    Picking hairs from your sandwich is the least of it! What about prying the tightly clamped jaws of your pug off said sandwich???
    lol. My boys are far too polite to do that! As if!

I do have to hoover my fridge though! I'm not kidding!

Tara, Monkey & Mouse

www.dogster.com/?115838 Monkey
    www.dogster.com/?160141 Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by njc11 View Post
    Thanks for your reply..

Yep UK, based in Stockport...

The breader in question is J. Cardey and is kennel Club registered..

I have no doubt im buying from a good breeder, passionate about dogs espec pugs, she has 8 plus 6 pups!! 2 from a previous litter (now 11 wks) and another 4 just born on friday gone)

The article i read, my girlfriend brought it to my attention, is a little contradictory to other artcles ive read.. they sound extremely high maintenance! health, shedding... jan said that hers tend to shed most of all not long after having a litter of pups etc.. other than that they are no worse than a yellow lab?? Do black pugs shed as much?

jan has given me a list of some books to get.. do you have any recommodations?

Ive grown up with Black Labs.. so used to them...

Cheers

Nick
    What's on the book list? (Sorry too lazy to go to the bookshelf right now to remember the titles of mine but I bet I have read at least some of the ones on your list.)

If you are used to dogs I don't think you will find pugs crazy high maintenance. Certainly they don't require enormous amounts of grooming and such. Just a regular brushing to minimise the shedding, cleaning the face wrinkle and doing the nails is all I do. They can have awful things go wrong but this is minimised by getting them from a good breeder. Even so, things can go wrong but that is the luck of the draw. Eyes are usually the main problem. We have certainly had our fair share of eye ulcers but as long as you are vigilant and catch any eye problems early it should not be too bad.

Jess (PV member) breeds chocolate labs and has pugs so she can no doubt give you some comparisons. I think you will find the pug slower to housetrain than labs.

Quote Originally Posted by weething View Post
    I do have to hoover my fridge though! I'm not kidding!
    WOW! That is some going. I have not had to do that yet. Maybe I don't check my fridge properly, though. I will have a careful look later. Perhaps the fawn hairs just don't show up against the fridge as much as black ones. Oh dear. At this rate we will be completely putting poor Nick off the idea of a pug.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast